Thursday, August 16, 2007

Better World Shopper

Janet talked about Better World Shopper over at Slice of Pink recently and I was instantly curious. What is it? A ranking of companies based on their overall social and environmental responsibility over the past 20 years. The idea as that you should use their rankings to basically vote with your wallet - support the companies that excel in areas like human rights, the environment, animal protection, community involvement and social justice. Being kind of a granola-crunching California girl at heart, I had to check it out.

Luckily, my hair products rank highly, as do my choices in retail stores. Same with my pick when it comes to drinking water (out of a PUR water filter attached to the tap that I bought after reading THIS. Check it out - it might change your perspective on bottled water too). Because I believe in rewarding companies that strive to be good corporate citizens, I may be re-evaluating my shopping habits in the categories where my choices didn't fare so well...

What do you think? Is this a lot of hooey or should we, as responsible consumers, use this kind of data when we make our decisions?

4 comments:

Chimpo said...

That's an awesome site. Glad to see Chipotle is number one in fast food.

I think there is a lot of merit in letting something liek this effect your consumption behavior, so long as the information is accurate and updated frequently.

Kerry said...

that was a great article about bottled water, shea. I had heard an interview on the same subject on NPR recently. thanks for the link.

supergirlest said...

i'd be even happier if a bunch of these places didn't rely on slave labor to create their products. a girl can dram, right?

i'm also very conscientious about where my money goes - what it supports and doesn't. muy importante.

Janet said...

The book has even more....I was in the aisle flipping through it for a good half hour.