Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Holiday. Celebrate.

You know what's weird? When your Tuesday is like your Friday. We get both Wednesday and Thursday off work. And then I'll be one of the very few who will come back to the office on Friday. I have absolutely no plans for the holiday, so I figured that I'd rather not burn up a day of vacation when I have things like weddings to attend in the fall and, ya know, hopefully a trip home for Christmas.

Anyway, speaking of this impending holiday, also known as the fourth of July, I'd like to bring up a topic that is near and dear to my heart. Those of you who've been around ACGIK for some time now are probably familiar with this speech, but I'm going to give it again.

Fireworks. What the heck is the point? I mean, seriously. I think it's just an excuse for men to blow stuff up. They're expensive, kinda dangerous and really not all that fascinating. I don't really even understand why cities spend thousands upon thousands of dollars on colorful explosions when they could be using that money to, oh, better the school system or pay for a stupid downtown arena.

I'm an even bigger fireworks hater because of the fireworks that continue to be set off AFTER the holiday. Like when you're sitting at home on a nice Thursday evening and the neighborhood sounds like it's under attack. It's rude and annoying and juvenile.

So yeah, I'm a fireworks hater. I'll never get it. I really won't. I mean, I don't hold it against everyone who likes fireworks, which is obviously the majority here. But I am never going to ooh and ahhh at a light show in the sky.

While we're at it, here are a few other things that I dislike: zoos, birds, people who spit in public, SUVs, Spangles (it's a Kansas thing), bugs, checking my voice mail, shorts, Pepsi, cooked broccoli, and men who send mixed signals.

So there you have it. Hmpf.

4 comments:

ryguy said...

Could you tell my girlfriend that fireworks are lame? Her name is Erin in the real world.

Janet said...

Ha, ha! No kidding. Happy 4th!

Anonymous said...

Shea, you took the words right out of my mouth...except I have given up on trying to explain this to stupid people who waste their entire paycheck on something that lasts half a second...but thank you for trying to educated the idiots.

And, RyGuy, Erin actually gets the fun fireworks, not the expensive stupid crap...

Lindsey G

Anonymous said...

Also, I am from Kansas, and I have no idea what a Spangle is...

Lindsey G